We would love to personally answer any general questions that you have about our school, but here are a few that we get quite often. You are welcome to schedule a meeting with our Director of Admissions to get additional questions answered.
West Hills is awesome because the teachers are so wonderful and nice.
1st Grade Student
West Hills is non-denominational and we have more than 70 Christian churches represented in our school community. It is important to understand that West Hills follows a conservative, evangelical perspective on Scripture, social issues, and salvation. While we do not take positions on doctrines that tend to separate our churches, we do adhere to our Statement of Faith and the Scriptures as our foundational understanding of the world and our Christian duty.
No, all substantial fees are indicated on our Tuition/Fee Information sheet. There are incidental fees for the hot lunch program, P.E. uniforms (grades 5th-8th), after-school clubs, classroom supply lists and other optional purchases.
West Hills Christian School works to keep tuition at a reasonable level and offers need-based financial aid to families that qualify. Tuition covers 80% of the total cost it takes to educate a child, the remaining 20% is covered by grants and two school-wide fundraisers per year: Kid Invest in the Fall and Hoop-A-Thon in the Spring (see our Fundraising page for more details).
Yes, it is a very child-friendly dress code and allows for individual expression while maintaining modesty.
While many schools do require this, volunteer hours are not mandatory at West Hills. However, it is an expectation that all parents give back to the school through volunteerism and participation, and we strive to provide a wide variety of rewarding opportunities in which to engage and give of your time (see “Volunteer Policy“).
While a state-approved teacher certification credential is not required by the state of Oregon, many WHCS classroom teachers do hold them. Many of our faculty also hold a teacher certification from ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International). West Hills is committed to the professional development of its faculty with a focus on research-based practices for the most effective educational experience. Teachers are also provided an educational stipend each year to take continuing education classes and/or workshops. Since we are a Christian school, each staff member testifies to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, agrees with our Statement of Faith, and models to our students a healthy lifestyle based on the moral teachings of the New Testament.
Our discipline system is based on the tenets of our Knight’s Code: Responsible, Respectful, Honest, Safe, and Kind. Our rules and procedures follow these five principles, and our teachers and staff use them daily to interact with our students regarding decisions they make. Our staff has been trained in Love and Logic management techniques, which emphasize positive relationships between students and teachers, guiding students to own and solve their problems, applying empathy before consequences and bad news, and providing plenty of opportunities for students to practice decision-making.
We offer a rigorous and balanced curriculum that meets the needs of most of our students. Our teachers do differentiate lessons to challenge our high achievers to delve deeper into the subject matter.
We have two classes per grade level. Our classes range from 20 to 25 students, taught in spacious classrooms. We utilize instructional aides to lower the teacher-to-student ratio in the K-6th grade classes.
No, but many of our families set up carpool arrangements to ease the driving.
You may drop off your child as early as 7:45am, where two staff members will welcome your child and provide supervision under the covered play area before students head to their classrooms. The school day is 8:15am – 3:05pm. Parents have until 3:30pm to pick up students if they are not staying for After School Academy (ASA); otherwise, the students are sent to ASA, and parents then pay a fee for that additional supervision.
Volleyball and basketball starting in 5th grade, track for 3rd-8th grade, and swim team for K-8th. We compete within Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) and Metro Christian League (MCL). A majority of our younger students participate in Upward Sports, a church/community sports program for young children, not affiliated with our school.
We generally align with the Portland Public Schools calendar, which takes off all major holidays, Christmas Break, and Spring Break. Where we may differ is in which days are taken for professional development and for inclement weather closures as those are up to each school administration to decide.
You are always welcome to direct specific questions to our Director of Admissions at 503-977-5509.